Monday, February 12, 2007

A Long Way From Eagle, CO...

I was out with a friend this weekend, when the new Nike ad with Kobe Bryant popped onto the television screen. It triggered a memory of a conversation I had with another friend a couple of years ago when the rape allegations against Kobe first arose.

What a difference a couple of years make! It was just a few summers ago that Kobe Bryant was facing rape charges; that's when my friend and I had a conversation in which he told me that he didn't see how Kobe's image would ever fully recover.

Fast forward to the present...Now, nearly four years removed from the accusations, Kobe seems to be just as popular as he ever was. The NBA announced that Kobe's #24 jersey was the top selling jersey in the league. Staples Center crowds have been chanting "MVP" during his trips to the charity stripe for the last two seasons. Nike has him front and center in their "AF25: Second Coming" ads. Sony placed him on the cover of their NBA video game... the list goes on.

I remember when it was big news when Nutella (yeah, the chocolate hazelnut spread company) dropped Kobe as his sponsor; now I see his face everywhere. It might just be that the public is a lot more forgiving then a lot of people predicted it would be. After all, no one ever hears mentions of Marv Albert's sex scandal. He's back to commentating on nationally televised basketball games.

I must admit that I often forget about the rape charges. Is it because we are able to separate moral values from sports heroes? I mean come on; the guy can drop 81 in a game, has the face of male model, and is able to make moves on the court that just shouldn't be legal. Plus, he now regularly mentions the love he has for his daughter, wife and God in his interviews. Isn't that enough to forgive small indiscretions like rape and adultery?

1 comment:

Requiem0904 said...

I certainly agree with you, funny how easily we forget some people's offenses yet if you walk into the comedy cellar down by west 4th street -- one is still likely to hear a joke about Bill Clinton's sex scandal.

Why do celebrities (or anyone for that matter) feel the need to involve God in their public announcements. As if God is a friend that they invite over for lunch -- saying, I prayed about it is as good as saying... "Jesus said he forgave me, shouldn't you?"

But I think you make a good point. Even I find Kobe too cute to be mad. Too cute to be a rapist.

On top of all that, now I want nutella.